- Skating planned in Guadalajara: Gay Games 11 is now set to proceed simultaneously in HK and Guadalajara November 3-11, 2023. Many sports are not included by either host. Figure skating is one of them. Like other member organizations of the Federation of Gay Games, IGFSU appreciates GGGDL's willingness to step forward on incredibly short notice and co-host the GG. Both of the host organizations and the FGG have daunting tasks ahead of them. We are aware of skaters sending angry messages to the FGG. We have a better solution:
IGFSU intends to host a "satellite" event during the week of the GG in Guadalajara. We have secured the full cooperation of ISI for sanctioning and judging and are in negotiations with a venue. You will have many questions. We will have answers but not immediately. We plan both a competition and an exhibition. If you are an ISU skater, you will be able to use your existing programs. There is time to plan your group numbers. IGFSU will need to manage (and fund) everything. We will shortly announce a cost effective IGFSU membership that will include ISI membership. Please let us know if you would be willing to serve on a volunteer planning committee and/or contribute a bit of seed money!
- Skating not on the list of the Gay Games: The Federation of Gay Games has announced that Gay Games 11 is planned to be held simultaneously in Hong Kong and Guadalajara on November 3 - 11, 2023. Each of the co-hosts has offered a list of sports and, as of yet, figure skating is not on either list. We are still fighting hard to make figure skating possible in one of the cities. We are also in discussion with the Sports Committee regarding the possibility of a virtual figure skating event that could stream simultaneously in both host cities as well as to a potentially wider audience. We welcome your feedback and comments on Facebook.
- Two hosts at the Gay Games 2023: Hosts Gay Games Hong Kong and FGG announce Guadalajara as presumptive co-host of 11th Gay Games in 2023. More infos will be available here as soon as possible. Read more
- Valenica offical host of GAY GAMES XII : Valencia signs official license Agreement: Valencia is now the Official Host of Gay Games 2026
- Some impressions on same sex couples
About the International Gay Figure Skating Union
IGFSU and the Gay Games
IGFSU was founded in 1991 by Arthur Luiz and Laura Moore, as part of a successful bid to get figure skating into the Gay Games in New York.
In 1999, we became a member organization of the Federation of Gay Games. By then it had become clear that we needed sanctioning/ endorsements for skaters to partner in the Gay Games regardless of gender. Under the leadership of Bradley Erickson, IGFSU became a member club of ISI. We chose to do this because the ISI structure allows for partnering regardless of gender and does not penalize male skaters wearing skirts!
IGFSU partnered with Gay Games hosts in 2002 in Sydney, Australia, 2006 in Chicago, USA, 2010 in Koeln, Germany, 2014 in Cleveland+Akron, USA and 2018 in Paris, France running events unlike any other figure skating events.
The 2018 Gay Games in Paris included an ISU competition. This was groundbreaking for both ISU and the Gay Games, but did mean that ISU rules in costuming and partnering had to be followed in that portion of the competition.
For the Gay Games in Hong Kong a ISI competition is planned that will include multiple skating opportunities for each participant and welcomes all skaters, in singles, pairs and ice dance, as well as groups.There will be categories for beginners through international elite skaters. If you are training a program for ISU, you will be able to skate it in HK.
IGFSU remains active with the FGG today and is recognized as the official governing body of figure skating for the Gay Games.
We are excited to see elite figure skaters coming out.We strive to support LGBTQ+ skaters, coaches, judges. IGFSU encourages skaters to lobby their country's governing bodies to become more inclusive.
Gay Games 11 in Hong Kong and Guadalajara 2023
We support events sanctioned by ISI
The Ice Sports Industry (ISI) is an international industry trade association encompassing all aspects of the ice sports industry. Founded in 1959 as a nonprofit organization for owners, operators and developers of ice skating facilities, ISI also created America’s original learn-to-skate program and has introduced more than 10 million individuals to the wonderful world of ice skating.
It has been, and will continue to be, the policy of the Ice Sports Industry (ISI) to promote equal opportunity for all members in its leadership and educational programs, endorsed events and other activities sponsored by the ISI.
The objective of ISI is to encourage participation in recreational ice sports without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status.
Website of ISI:
General Informations about testing:
We are open to working together with the International Skating Union. In order to promote inclusion for the LGBT+ community (eg. same sex couples), we still prefer working together with other organisations.
We like pics, videos and stories
Send your pics, linked videos or your story. We can post a slection on our site.